Thursday, May 29, 2014

Team Singapore 2014: Clementi Primary School



Team Singapore: L - R: Isabel, E Hsuen, Xiu Yang and Sherman with reserves, Emily and Phil

Introducing the team from Clementi Primary School in Singapore:


Isabel

You will often find me engrossed in a book in my spare time, and this especially helps when you live with two noisy younger sisters!

My favourite series are Nancy Drew and Sherlock Holmes, but sometimes I read award winning books (e.g. Holes) When I’m not reading, I enjoy scribbling in my journal. I’m really happy and proud to be representing Singapore in the Kids Lit finals!

E Hsuen

Hi! I’m from Singapore and I can’t imagine life without story books!

When I get really engrossed in a book, I would be oblivious to the world around me and I would feel as though I was in the story as well. The book that sparked my interest in reading was Matilda by Roald Dahl. My favourite book series are Harry Potter, Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus, The Hunger Games and Divergent.

I’m looking forward to going to Cornwall and I wish all teams good luck!

Sherman

Hi Everyone! I’m Sherman and I’m the youngest in the team.

I like reading books ranging from folklore to fairytales and mythology. My favourite author is Rick Riordan and I aspire to be a great author just like him! I also enjoy books like ‘Percy Jackson’, ‘I am Number Four’ and even books written by Enid Blyton when I was younger! I want to wish everyone taking part in Kid’s Lit Global Finals good luck!

I really can’t wait to go to UK to meet all the teams!

Xiu Yang

Books are one of my best companions. Some of my favourite books are Tuesdays with Morrie, the Power of Five series and the Artemis Fowl series. I usually get hooked with books about fantasy, history and science, and my favourite authors for these genres are Anthony Horowitz, Rick Riordian and J.R.R Tolkein. Apart from reading, I enjoy playing soccer and computer games.

I am looking forward to the trip to England and meeting the other teams!

Hello from Singapore!


I have a class of avid readers so selecting a team for the inaugural Kids’ Lit Quiz in Singapore was an instinctive move. Though the team prepared for the local finals on a time crunch, they demonstrated great camaraderie and enjoyed themselves.

As a facilitator at the book sharing sessions, I have learned a lot from my pupils. They have really surprised me with their book knowledge that is far beyond mine, based on their interests and experiences.

I am really proud of them and I wish them all the best in the global finals!

Chan May Ling
Coach



 Message from Wayne Mills


We warmly welcome Singapore to the international Kids' Lit Quiz community of keen readers in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.

The inaugural Kids' Lit Quiz national final was held in Singapore in April, following a pilot Quiz held there last October.

The final was held in the wonderful National Library and the 20 teams that competed had qualified from sixty-four teams who participated in the heats. Last year, only 14 teams participated in the pilot program. So there's been huge growth and interest in this part of the world in just 6 months.

I congratulate all of the members of all of the national teams and am confident that, as with the past national teams, you will be wonderful ambassadors for your schools and countries in 2014. Good luck to you all.


The inaugural national final in Singapore, April 2014

(You can read all of Wayne's welcome post here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment